Newly licensed agent

3 Replies

Hello,

Next week I will be taking my real estate exam here in NJ. I am more than confident that I will pass. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what I should look for when looking for a real estate agency to work with?

I want to work in the Essex county area (maplewood, west orange, millburn, etc) I have been working in the industry for about 7 months in NYC. I figure if I can do 6 deals in 7 months in New York. Who knows maybe I'll be able to do more in New Jersey.

Find a firm with a good reputation, a large market share, and a person (or team) that will shadow you.

It's very important in the beginning stages of being an agent because you don't have a reputation (yet), you need some to teach you a proven sales strategy, and a well-known firm will provide you with credibility,

Find an agency that is recognized in your area, offers training, and is willing to work with you to teach you the ropes. It can be extremely frustrating to you should you pick an agency where you are left on your own to figure the business out. I would also suggest asking, while interviewing, if they offer any monetary assistance with marketing. There are a lot of expenses starting off in the business without any guarantee of an income. Look for an agency that will aid you with some of those expenses. Best of luck to you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you