Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Ty Stephens
  • Investor
  • Palmer, AK
Votes |
Active Duty Military stationed in Alaska...

Ty Stephens
  • Investor
  • Palmer, AK
Posted Jun 24 2017, 02:46

Hi All,

Just moved up to Anchorage, Alaska after a 17 day, 5,500 mile road trip through Canada. I am currently active duty military and will be stationed here for the next 3-4 years. Originally from Texas and am 29 years old. My fiancé just recently graduated with a DVM from Veterinarian School and has made the move up with me as she plans to start her first job. We've been looking to buy a home in the Eagle River, AK area through my VA Loan benefit with hopes of transitioning it into a rental property once we leave to our next duty location. I've been researching the area for the last 6 months or so. Currently pre-approved on a loan up to $550,000 at 3.9%. Actively talking to real estate agents and lenders in the area as we try to evaluate our situation and make the numbers work for us.

I've been investing in stocks for awhile, and real estate has always been the next step in my plan, and putting my Housing Allowance to work.  Went off the advice of a few senior military officers and my old economics professor suggested Brandon Turner's book... which led me to the podcast...which eventually led me here.

Long terms goals include financial independence by age 45 and while Real Estate is just a component of the bigger goal, for me, at this point, I would like to maximize my opportunities to buy and hold a few properties that can potentially become streams of passive income to supplement my larger portfolio down the road and have been working for about 4-5 years to put myself in a position to do that.  My biggest concerns thus far have primarily been a general lack of knowledge with real estate, lack of confidence in my ability to understand a market when I am constantly moving every few years, and avoiding some of the pitfalls of being a long distance landlord.  But I'm finally ready to take the jump.  Very interested in general knowledge, continuing to learn from others, and expanding my network specifically in the Anchorage/ Eagler River/ Alaska area.

We also have a dog, Jackson, in the profile picture.  (standard issue when you decide to marry a Vet :) )

Thanks and looking forward to being more engaged in this community!

Respectfully,

Ty

Loading replies...