Greetings from Lincoln, Nebraska! Totally new and overwhelmed...

11 Replies

Hi,

My name is Tim and I have decided to start learning more about real estate investing. I just bought my first house in July and am excited to learn more from all of you. 

I got a couple of books from the library and started the BP's Beginner's Introction to Real Estate Investing online course. 

Since I am a complete novice, I feel really overwhelmed with where to start. Can anyone give some advice as where my first steps would be to ensure I stay on a focused path of success? 

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Hey @Tim Woosley , welcome. I think you should probably first define what your path of success looks like and then work backwards to reach that goal or to steer towards it. It was hard to tell from your introduction what exactly you want out of RE. 

Hi @Tim Woosley , I just joined too. It took me a little time (read 12 months) to get through the masses of information out there. I decided to just pursue one learning avenue at a time to avoid the overwhelm potential. There is SO much online, to read and to listen to.. I chose podcasts becuase I drive a lot. Now I have a basic but better than nothing idea of the different arms of RE and although I'm only a small step closer to figuring out my niche, I feel far more confident than I did a few months ago. Good Luck!

I agree with @Doug Woodville find your path and don't be scared to take action.  As you grow in this business your path might change and thats fine and will most likely happen.  I would recommend meeting as many investors as you can to help figure out your path.  Good luck and if you ever want to meet up at one of our jobs site let me know.

@Doug Woodville Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about investing in single family rental properties primarily, but I do own two businesses and think it would be great to find a small strip mall (and the like) to purchase. I've got a long road of knowledge to attain but I am exicted to be on the journey. 

Originally posted by @Tim Woosley :

@Doug Woodville Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about investing in single family rental properties primarily, but I do own two businesses and think it would be great to find a small strip mall (and the like) to purchase. I've got a long road of knowledge to attain but I am exicted to be on the journey. 

Ya there ya go! That's a much better description of what you're interested in so you can really narrow it down. You'll find thousands of posts on SFH rental properties whether you want to do out of state or in state. You're going to feel overwhelmed for a while I can tell you that. Only after hours of reading will you start to know enough to get a grasp of whats going on. So my best advice is to search those terms you're interested in and just start reading. Check out the recommended books on the site also.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you