New Wannabe Wholesaler from McDonough, GA (Atlanta Metro)

8 Replies

Greetings everyone! I'm Brian Haley from the south side of Atlanta, GA. 

My work background is the exterminating business, currently in mold inspection & remediation business and have a myriad of construction knowledge and experience of residential and commercial buildings.

I do not have a real estate background other than as a vendor/contractor in real estate transactions.

I'm looking to start wholesaling as a low cost way to break into REI business. My idea is to expand into other aspects of REI like, control w/out ownership type lease purchase, flipping paper, probate REI, etc.

About a year ago, I stumbled upon Bigger Pockets on the internet. At first, I felt like it must be another REI education outlet designed to lead to expensive training courses (not against that, but not in a financial position to go that route). I recently worked for a young investor in his 30s that taught himself through Bigger Pockets and has several profitable rental properties in a just a few years.

In REI, I have learned a lot, but I know virtually NOTHING about how to go about getting started. So, I've watched a couple videos on getting started, which is basically, "do something" and "put one foot in front of the other"...so here I am ready to learn about REI and share what I can.

Welcome to BP! I recommend listening to the BP podcasts. There is a wealth of knowledge in every one of them and they will help keep you motivated! I listen to them all the time in the car.

Originally posted by @Brian Haley :

Greetings everyone! I'm Brian Haley from the south side of Atlanta, GA. 

My work background is the exterminating business, currently in mold inspection & remediation business and have a myriad of construction knowledge and experience of residential and commercial buildings.

I do not have a real estate background other than as a vendor/contractor in real estate transactions.

I'm looking to start wholesaling as a low cost way to break into REI business. My idea is to expand into other aspects of REI like, control w/out ownership type lease purchase, flipping paper, probate REI, etc.

About a year ago, I stumbled upon Bigger Pockets on the internet. At first, I felt like it must be another REI education outlet designed to lead to expensive training courses (not against that, but not in a financial position to go that route). I recently worked for a young investor in his 30s that taught himself through Bigger Pockets and has several profitable rental properties in a just a few years.

In REI, I have learned a lot, but I know virtually NOTHING about how to go about getting started. So, I've watched a couple videos on getting started, which is basically, "do something" and "put one foot in front of the other"...so here I am ready to learn about REI and share what I can.

Welcome to the site Brian. You would be best suited to switch up your thinking right out of the starting gate. Wholesaling isn't what you want to do. What you really want to do is become a licensed Real Estate Agent. Legal ramifications aside wholesaling instead of being a licensee is just a bad business plan. It's like showing up to a gun fight with a knife.

Tons of great Real Estate info here on BP. Many members with tons of expertise on most every topic in the Real Estate space. So don't be shy about asking any questions you may have in the forums. Feel free to tag me in any questions & i'll try to drop by & offer up some advice.

Good luck to you & i'll see you around the forums.

Welcome @Brian Haley ! Wholesaling is an interesting piece of REI. Probably single most important piece that has the least amount of quality folks doing it. Once you continue educating yourself further and start wholesaling some deals, remember two things: Do not over estimate the ARV and do not under estimate the cost of repairs. Even if you are offering the potential profit to be 10K versus 30K. Here to help if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

Damir 

@Brian Haley,

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. I recommend joining one of the local real estate investors associations. wwwGAREIA.com offers great training and networking for new investors. Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you