Newb L.A. investor who can't afford L.A. Out of state anybody?

32 Replies

@Matt Hish You're circumstances are very common, especially for anyone living in CA. Personally, I think the Indianapolis and Kansas City markets are two of the best cash flow markets. Not only are they very affordable but they have strong job growth and population growth. I've been actively involved in both for several years. Feel free to reach out and I'll be happy to share my experience.

Hey @Matt Hish ,

We see new properties show up every week for the Dallas, Orlando, Jacksonville, Seattle, Salt Lake, West Palm Beach areas area. Properties are listed weekly for miss listed multi family, turn key investment, and and even 20% under value homes. From the data I have seen, all of these seem to have a good mix of properties for all types of investors and income types. 

Happy Hunting !

Poi can set up a dst to defer capital gains tax and exchange for a private placement real estate offering that pays a monthly dividend.

You can set up a dst to defer capital gains tax and exchange for a private placement real estate offering that pays a monthly dividend.

@Matt Hish , Lots of good comments on the "where" to go.  But there's one big "How that I never saw introduced.  Since California has the 2nd highest combined capital gain tax in the world you may want to sell your property and do a 1031 exchange with it.  This will let you avoid paying tax on the sale of your condo and it will let you use that deferred tax to purchase more investment real estate.  The 1031 is a perfect tool to use for a turn key play.  Sell one condo and use the 1031 to purchase several TKs where you choose.  

Thx Dave,

1031 occurred to me also. Your suggestion is definitely near the top of my list of ideas. I'm trying to read as much as I can here and listen to as many of the podcasts as possible before making a move.

@Matt Hish , I own my house and live in Orange County but invest in a few regions and cities throughout the US.  It only makes sense in this day and age with the Internet and easy transportation opening up the country to real estate investors.  However, I love the weather and my community here in Orange County, so I'm not moving anytime soon.

I suggest that you read David Greene's book Long-Distance Real Estate Investing, which is a pretty good introduction to out of state investing.  It's all about building a team of trusted and experienced individuals in each market.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you