• Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Hi everyone! Beginner from Kansas City, MO

Amanda Olvera
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Feb 9 2018, 08:04

Hey everyone,

I, like many newbies, have stalked these forums and articles for quite a while.  As I related on my profile, I'm a teacher and have lots of education (and student loan debt!!) but have never really considered myself entrepreneurial.  In fact, I was always afraid of work that didn't guarantee a paycheck.   

I've always loved real estate and wanted to become an agent when I was just out of college but honestly, I was afraid of the 'gamble' of making money through commissions only.  As a kid, and I mean like 8-9 years old, I would watch the J.C. Nichols home show every Sunday morning--this was well before the Internet and realtor.com :)   It was a show sponsored by a local real estate brokerage that advertised their homes for sale.  I watched and marveled, dreaming of owning one of those one day.  Not even remotely considering the potential for an investment at the time, I just watched to see the different designs, decor and fancy schmancy pools and landscaping.  I was a small town kid and we didn't have any homes that looked like those 'city' palaces!  I was in awe.  

Anyway, fast forward many, many years and here I am:  a teacher of 14 years and pretty restless in my professional life.  Ironically, it was a student I had last fall that really put my wheels in motion on this real estate endeavor.  Well, him and Fiona Gallagher (a character on Showtime's Shameless). This student was 16 years old and owned three businesses!  I would walk around the room checking student work and he would have cash flow analysis spreadsheets and charts/graphs, etc up on his screen.  I was like what the heck?!?!   He proceeded to give me quite an education.  And recommended a certain book I think we all know. . . yep, Rich Dad, Poor Dad.  He read The Great Gatsby for me, and I read his 'business book'.  I will admit, I felt almost offended at first.  After all, the Poor Dad was ME!  Get an education.  Look for a good retirement and benefits plan.  SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY.  That was my life.  

Admittedly, it took me a few months to come around to the entrepreneurial mindset and even consider this business.  But here I am.  I've read like 12 books and countless threads and podcasts on here.  I'm kinda obsessive about it right now.  

I realize I need to connect with experienced investors and really get my feet wet.  Hoping this site is an avenue to do that as well as to continue to teach me soooo much.  

I'm in Kansas City, MO and was born and raised around here.  I knew our Midwest markets were more stable than some of the coastal areas of the country, but I didn't realize how attractive KC is to the investor.  Lucky me!  :)  P.S. it's a GREAT place to live, too.  BBQ, jazz, culture, friendly faces??  We got it all.  

Best wishes to all the newbies out there. . . and for the veterans--I'll take any advice I can get! 

Amanda 

Loading replies...