Another Newbie in the Portland, OR Area

6 Replies

Hey guys so my name is Colton Vermillion. I've been a listener of the Bigger Pockets podcast for about 6 months now and have loved all of the information I've learned from it (thanks Josh and Brandon!). I took a while getting onto the forum as I had a lot of big life events crammed together in a short amount of time. I'll try to condense as much as I can. I'm 25 and just recently graduated college and got my BA in Environmental Studies from UCLA, went on an amazing trip to Europe with my girlfriend of two years, and have now just moved to the Portland area (specifically Vancouver, WA but we're hoping to hop over the Columbia once our lease is up) from sunny SoCal. I work as a seasonal ranger with the Forest Service and probably not surprisingly I don't make much money but I'm pretty darn happy. It's really because of my less-than-lucrative job choice that I've turned my eyes towards investing. Although I love my job, I'd love even more not to need one, so my current goal is to buy and hold to the point where I'm financially stable enough to retire early. Very original I know! What drew me to real estate moreso than other investment vehicles is the tangible aspect of it. In addition my parents introduced me to the concept of being landlord early on, as they purchased a townhome outright with equity and have some great cash flow going because of it. Well I'm really excited to finally be on here and I look forward to connecting with all of you! Thanks for reading! Colton

Hey @Colton Vermillion ,

I like you saw the way Real Estate investing can make the difference at a young age. One thing that I learned is that you can always learn more and that a good deal is when both sides are happy. I have made offers that Realtors told me was a joke. I've been turned down many times but I can say that this year I have made two "joke offers" that were accepted and the Realtors had to shake their heads. Now maybe they will see my point.

Just have fun and remember that you are doing it for you and not anyone else.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob, I appreciate that insight! I think that's some very solid advice I'll take with me for my first deal. It's like the old adage "you never know until you try" and I'm gonna try like hell!

@Colton Vermillion I am local to Vancouver, WA and love to mentor and help folks with building passive cash flow via real estate and dividend investing.  Our office is downtown Vancouver and if you ever want to swing by and grab a cup of coffee let me know.  I have learned the hard way over the years so would love to pass on some knowledge that may be helpful.

Thanks Uwe (I'm sorry I'm not sure how to tag people yet), that's much appreciated I would love to do that! We still have yet to sign our apartment lease and get settled as I'm currently housed in an FS bunkhouse in Parkdale, but as soon as I'm situated I'll let you know, and coffee is on me!

@Colton Vermillion I lived in Portland and Vancouver for a couple years and it’s unfortunate that you live in a primary market where the rent to value ratio does not work. As a high paid professional I would look out of state. Let me know if you need any advice.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you