New Investor/Flipper in Kansas City, MO Ready to Connect & Learn!

3 Replies

Hello all! My husband and I are fortunate to have an out of state family member who wants to help us start investing in the KC area with a goal to make it a career. What a great community we found here on BP and we're excited to learn all we can in the coming months. We are in the research phase right to figure out the best way to structure the entity/partnership. He and I will likely become licensed RE agents in MO & KS and start networking as much as possible. Until then, we will be looking for an agent to help us find our starter property, a broker(s) once we are licensed and will try to find local meetups and networking events as well. I understand the market is pretty competitive around here but we are optimistic we can find a niche and make this successful.

I had my RE license years ago (before the internet!) so things have definitely changed. We plan to buy/fix/flip single-family homes and build an inventory to keep it growing, but that strategy may change once we know more about the market and what we can realistically do. Our RE license will be primarily to help buy/sell our own homes but may branch that out for income as well. We will both keep our full-time jobs as long as feasible and are lucky to have somewhat flexible schedules. 

Thanks to all for your generous advice on these forums!

Michelle

@Michelle Etherton welcome to BP and good luck. My wife and I do the same thing. Recommend only you or your husband get your license. It is nice to be a team and be able to both view properties, list, negotiate, etc... but honestly, the fees aren't worth it, IMO,  and it will give you both more options in the future. (My wife and I are both still agents - lol. So this is more a don't do we are doing opinion) 

Best of luck to you guys! 

@Michelle Etherton welcome to BP!  My wife and I are in a similar situation.  We love the investor community here in KC.  

We have been able to establish some great connections for all the little things you'll need renovating and selling/renting homes.  Everything from paint, carpet, to lawn care.  

Don't hesitate to shoot me a message.  

@Dan Krupa thank you so much for your reply and welcome! I was thinking one would get licensed in MO and the other in KS for now (mainly because we will both be working for a bit and can cover each other) but not completely sure if we will need to do that so thank you for your honesty.

@Matt 

@Matt Pritchard my husband and I just read your blog you wrote a couple of years ago and literally belly laughed. He played soccer for 40 years and his daughter played for years so the soccer mama drama is certainly not new to us. My "real" career is a copywriter and marketing consultant so I fully appreciated your writing skills and we all sound very similar. We would definitely like to get any referrals you know of to start building our database and connections! Thank you so much for the offer.

Hope you both don't mind if we connect! Do either of you go to any of the local events or meetups?

Michelle

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you