Graduating College Soon, Looking to start Investing

5 Replies

In just about a year I'll be graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Throughout the past four years, I have worked really hard to learn as much as I could about our industry. I've not only worked hard in school, but have made it a priority to get real world experience: from working for a multi-family investor just starting out in New Jersey, the appraisal group at Jones Lang LaSalle, as a Teachers Assistant at NYU Shack school for real estate, commercial and residential brokerage firms, to an affordable FHA lender in Wisconsin.

Now, I am looking to start my investing career. I want to start out by purchasing a duplex/triplex after college so that some roommates and I can live in one unit and rent out the rest. I am excited to get the experience as a landlord and to learn the complexities that go along with that. I'm trying to identify creative ways to find deals, besides simply looking on Zillow..ext. I'd like to find a property in good condition, but with upside potential after renovations (I therefore would also like to start a relationship with a local contractor). 

I'm looking to connect with people in my area, from flippers to buy/hold investors. I'm here to learn...and with time make money. I've been inspired by the intriguing development and multi/single-family flipping process. The work done by those in the industry is challenging, but rewarding. 

Any tips/advice or people out there looking to connect. I'd be open to speaking to anyone in our community. 

@Jacob Victor   You'll go far with that kind of work ethic and drive.  I also househacked my first purchase, and it's a great way to accumulate property with little money down.  You'll likely need a full time job to qualify for a loan.  What is your degree in, and what do you plan of doing for your 9-5 when you graduate?

Dawn, 

My degree is in Finance and Real Estate. I'm currently working on lining up a 9-5 in Madison, real estate development and finance jobs are tough to come by in this tertiary market....but this city is great and I don't plan on leaving. 

@Jacob Victor

Jacob, a great way to get connected to the investor community in Madison is to join the every other Wednesday meet up at The Brink Lounge on East Wash.  @Chela O'Connor and @Hussain Harun are our organizers for this meeting and can be sure to add you to the email list so you can get notified directly of the schedule/location. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and varied investors in this group.  I look forward to seeing you at one.  

Susan

@Jacob Victor madison is a great area. I grew up around there. UW Madison is a fantastic school as well. Go badgers!

From my understanding Madison is probably fairly expensive right now if you’re looking to buy. If you don’t find anything there you can probably look in the surrounding areas or go over closer to Milwaukee.

Great area to live though. I’ve got family that have spent most of their adult life working in Madison.

As far as investing right or close to being out of school, feel free to PM me if you want and I can share my perspective. I started about 10 months after school.

Hey Jacob, congrats. It’s an exciting time! I just graduated a few years ago and started my rei journey shortly after school as well. Feel free to connect and PM me. I’d like to build some Madison contacts and potentially invest there.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you