Investor from Birmingham UK - (also interested in Spain/Portugal)

16 Replies

Hi all 

I'm new to the BP community and love the podcasts and content so far...

I'm currently researching the UK markets as well as Spain and Portugal looking for whichever options make the most sense for rental income. If anyone is in these markets and wants to share ideas or tips then let's connect!

Strategies I want to employ: 

BRRRR

buy and hold

flipping

note investing (maybe at a later stage)

P.s - I have a marketing agency and a long background in sales and marketing so I'm happy to help if anyone has any questions around this topic - feel free to message me.

Deep

Hi,

In Barcelona city is becoming impossible to get that yields. Maybe 4,5% is more accurate. 

In other cities may be possible. I still have my network in Barcelona, but 100% of my operations are in Valencia.

Valencia still cheap and you could get 7-8% without putting to much effort. But you should buy with cash.

Mortgages in spain are low interest, but they give you only 70% LTV.

Yes yields are around the 4.5-5.5% mark in Barcelona, but the capital gains potential is high ... Especially useful if you're looking to buy and hold. If you're looking to flip and are more concerned about net rental yield for better cash-flow, Valencia is a good option.

Hi all. This is my first time posting on a forum, it's so great to see people talking about Spain. We're in Galicia in northern Spain. The highest COC return here is around 4%. are the 7-8% return in Valencia that you refer to on long term rentals or only in tourist areas?

Hi Deep / Adrià,

Thanks for above posts.

I am a newbie just starting out on REI path and glad to find other people interested in Valencia.

I was in Valencia and Alicante cities recently and felt more inclined toward Valencia (bigger city; more diverse opportunities instead of mainly tourism in Alicante's case).

It'll be great to know your thoughts about good neighbourhoods in Valencia for long term rental investment.

Check the neighbourhoods around the city centre: La Saidia, Patraix, Les Corts,...

Buy as cheap as possible, if it's for long term is better to buy a property without elevator, but with some space to be installed --> 30-40k maximum. 

With that you could reach 7% yields consistenly on time. Of course the yields during the years of this upper trend will be 9-10%, but expect a drop.

I would say that a property without elevator of 30-40k you could expect a rent of 350-400 euros per month, but in few years will drop to 250-300 euros er month.

Just my 2 cents.

If you're looking for 90-100sqm with elevator on the neighbourhoods mentioned, I think that kind of flat could maintain a rent of 500 euro on the long term. Right now this kind of flat is rented for 750 euro.

Then you could expect a consistent 5-6% on 30 years period.

Thanks. It's helpful getting the numbers in perspective. Much appreciated.

Your analysis about falling rents is quite intriguing. So in other words, if the tide turns soon, one expect to just break even for some time or worse . But having said that. I'd be happy with 5-6% as a new investor.

@Usman Masud not intriguing at all. Spain is a country with a declining and ageing population with excess of housing. The average net salary is 1480 Euro per month. 

Do you think that paying 30-50% of your salary on rent is a stable situation?

The reason why we are on maximum yields is because the young generations need to save up to 40k to buy a property of 120.000 Euro.

Real Estate is cyclic, there will be times where the yield of a house will be 4% others that will be 10%. But on time periods of 30 years, is not realistic that the yield that the property will deliver is the one of the higher peak.

@Sisi where in Lisbon did you buy? I was looking pretty diligently for a while but only found 8-9% gross yield max, so nowhere near 10-12% net - ( calculate yield as net to get the CoC value)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you