• Spring, TX
Votes |
Don't Call It A Comeback...

Benjamin Portnoy
  • Investor
  • Spring, TX
Posted Jul 9 2018, 09:05

Hi gang,

For 5 years in the mid-2000s, I was a fix and flip investor in the St. Louis market. I absolutely loved it. I held a Broker's license and did a few residential retail client transactions, but would walk through and analyze 300+ homes/year. I moved to a booming, higher-priced market in 2008 to carve out a new region. 

A few things happened...1) The bubble burst. 2) My money partners weren't used to that market's prices and got cold feet, then went away. 3) As a result, I lost my source of income and had to scramble, putting real estate aside until further notice.

Fast forward 10 years. 

I've moved to HOUSTON, TEXAS and am ready to rock. I've spent the last 5 years learning direct marketing, building systems to leverage time and money, and longingly eyeing every ugly house I pass, whispering..."You will be mine." :)

BIG HAIRY GOALS:

1. 3-6 mo's: Build up a power team and network of contractors, financing sources, and investors, as well as a lead stream from direct marketing, networking, D4$'s, etc. Starting slow and steady.
  2. 6-18 mo's: Start w/wholesaling, then moving back into flips and BRRRRs, both residential and commercial. By 18 months, 2-6 deals/mo.
  3. 18-24 mo's: Replace our current income with property cash flow and flip income. 
  4. 24-36 mo's: Start exploring markets outside of Texas. Learn long distance investing.
  5. 36-48 mo's: Hit 7 figures in gross income.

Thanks for reading, y'all. 

If you're in the Houston area, I'm always up for coffee or a drink. Please reach out.

And a MASSIVE thank you to the BiggerPockets crew. On a recent road trip, you kept me company with about 15 hours of podcasts & educational videos. I learned SO much and am very grateful. These kinds of resources weren't around when I started out, and we're lucky you're continuing to produce so much valuable content.

Let's make some $$$!!!

Cheers,
Benjamin

Loading replies...