buy and hold for first time buyers

4 Replies

hi everyone!! first time on this forum.  My future wife and I are looking into real estate investing. But I had a question about buying and holding a multi family property.  Im trying to run the numbers but im coming up with a problem.  how do I calculate if its a good investment when we are trying to buy a duplex, while living in one unit and renting out the other unit.  What numbers are good (noi, cash flow, etc.) to move forward on a property. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Michael and Jamesina

Hey @Michael Pacheco ! House Hacking is an awesome strategy! If you can pull it off then go for it!

You're question is pretty broad. Calculating numbers for a House Hack is essentially the same as if your were buying and holding a SFR. You want to ensure that your rent and any other income (parking, laundry, etc) is greater than your expenses. With MF, calculate the numbers based on all the units being rented...even if you are living in one. After all, you'll want the numbers to work once you move out! :)

If you have more specific questions then feel free to ask! But without more details it's hard for me to know how to help :)

So you would look at it as if you were the 2nd renter in the equation. You do have to live somewhere right? And you wont over extend yourself on mortgage and rent, right? So look at the duplex in that manner. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you