Votes
Colin Peffley
  • New London, CT
Votes |
Military Newbie from Albany, NY area

Colin Peffley
  • New London, CT
Posted Jul 18 2018, 13:43

Hello Bigger Pockets!  My name is Colin and I am currently living just north of Saratoga Springs, NY.  I am currently in the US Navy, and am at the point in real estate that I just started feeling comfortable enough with the lingo to start analyzing different deals, for practice, off Zillow (newbie).  I have started looking into the buy and hold markets of Troy, Schenectady, and Glens Falls.

I recently went to Greece and had such an amazing experience that it completely changed my view on life.  My overall goal for investing is to earn enough passive income so that I do not need to "work", therefore enabling me to travel and see the world.  I want to be able to just pickup and go, whenever and for however long I want.  In the past, I viewed this sort of lifestyle as just a pipe dream. After the trip to Greece and the technology that enables investing in RE anywhere, it seems that my dream life style can actually be achievable.

I am currently working on my 12 year buisiness plan (how much longer I have in the Navy until I can retire), with the goal of not having to get a "job" when I get out. Im not opposed to then becoming the property manager of my properties, and actually think I would enjoy it (most days of course). I think house hacking is genious, but I will be transferring to Groton, CT at the end of the year and therefore will not be able to hack that way. Instead, I actually plan to convert a bus to live in, eliminating the need to pay rent or a mortgage (kind of hacking it).

I would like to give a shout out to @Joshua Dorkin, @Brandon Turner, and of course @David Greene for a great podcast which led me to bigger pockets and the motivation to follow my dreams. Brandon's books were great (I had to buy the paperback hardcopies after listening to it on audible just so I could continue referencing the material), and after halfway, David's book is just as great (hardcopy in the mail now).

I look forward to utilizing all the resources on this website, starting with the webinar tonight, the connections that can be made, and of course sharing my experience and lessons learned.

- Colin  

@David Greene

Loading replies...