New Member in Boston Area

5 Replies

Hey everyone, I'm new to BiggerPockets. I'm an investor from the Boston area. I currently own 4 units (a condo and a 3 unit multifamily). I work a normal W2 job and have been doing real estate on the side.

I just got the multifamily in June and fixed it up all summer. I'm pretty useless for renovation stuff outside of small tasks here and there, so I joined BiggerPockets with the intent of finding a good network of handymen and contractors. Negotiation is difficult for me being a.) a real estate noob and b.) I just turned 25, so many contractors do not take me seriously for my age or quote me high prices thinking I am naive.

I want to build a network of other investors and professionals so I know I am getting quality service for decent prices. Although work on my multifamily is complete, the contractors and handyman I dealt with were nightmares to deal with (unreliable and required me to hover over them at all times). Hopefully my next project goes a little smoother!

Welcome to BP @Ryan Schumacher ! Have you done a member search for contractors and other team members in Boston? That will be a good way to connect with other people who will hopefully take you more seriously. Have you gone to a local REIA meeting yet? Another good way to meet and network with others.

Thanks all. @Dan Barli I haven't gone to any meetups yet but have a few on my calendar upcoming. A member search on BiggerPockets is a good idea. I've tried Yelp & HomeAdvisor (big mistake, I know) and gotten some really overpriced / mediocre contractors. Thanks for the advice.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you