New guy from Cincinnati, OH

10 Replies

Hello, all. My name is Bryan Eppert, and I'm looking to get started with buy and hold rental properties right here in Cincinnati, OH. I'm interested in single family and small multi-family properties. My goal is to purchase my first property within the next six months. I love the idea of the BRRR method, but will probably look for something more turnkey, unless I can find the right contractor to work with in the next several months. I'm looking forward to learning from and contributing to this fantastic community along the way.

Originally posted by @Bryan Eppert :

Hello, all. My name is Bryan Eppert, and I'm looking to get started with buy and hold rental properties right here in Cincinnati, OH. I'm interested in single family and small multi-family properties. My goal is to purchase my first property within the next six months. I love the idea of the BRRR method, but will probably look for something more turnkey, unless I can find the right contractor to work with in the next several months. I'm looking forward to learning from and contributing to this fantastic community along the way.

Welcome to the site Bryan.

That's an open question right now. Since I'm in the information gathering stages, I've been running numbers all over Cincinnati and northern Kentucky to get an idea of how they work in different areas: Silverton, Hyde Park, Oakley, Norwood, Kennedy Heights, Pleasant Ridge, Columbia-Tusculum, the West End, Ft. Thomas, Bellevue, around UC. I'm casting a wide net right now and hope to narrow it down over the next couple of months. I've been using Zillow, MLS, County Auditor, and Rentometer to get info. Any suggestions?

I hear you. 

I have been doing a lot of information gathering in different neighborhoods as well. Have you looked in the Dayton-Cincinnati corridor much? I went to school at UD and UC so I am partial to that in-between area. I was wondering if anyone has dug in deep on the West Chester and Monroe vicinity and if that is a good buy and hold market. 

I have also seen some promising properties in Norwood, some pretty close to Xavier. 

Best of luck. Shoot me a PM if you have any interest in swapping info/data, I would be curious to see what you have dug up in your research.  

Welcome! Great place to find lots of info from saavy people.

As far as Cincy, from my experience, west side, Pleasant ridge, Norwood are all good areas. Mt. Washington - if you can find a great property - can be a sweet spot as well. It's just outside the HIGH priced east side stuff (Hyde Park, Oakley) but still only 5-10 minutes from that area. Great rental market there too if you're wanting to start with buy/hold strategy. If you're okay with students (somewhat consistent turnover and possibly higher damage), you might want to search in the UC/Xavier areas. However, RE in those pockets is HIGH because of the demand. 

@Kent Hall - I invest in Middletown (that's as far south as we are now) which is super close to Monroe. With Monroe's growth over the past few years, it's going to be a great market for buy/hold. Lots of new facilities popping up and new businesses. Plus, Dayton and Cincy are growing closer and closer to being one major metro area. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you