About to rent out my first property near Tampa

2 Replies

Hello BP,

I'm an Army vet and have wanted to be a real estate investor since I was a teenager. I graduated from The University of Tampa last May with an MIS degree. Except for the military, my background is in data analytics, architecture, and management. I'm a born and raised Tampa native with an intimate knowledge of the area, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I'm relatively new to the property investing game. Fortunately, I've got a realtor in the family, and she helped me purchase my first property earlier this year. I've been living in it while doing some updates (and generally trying to figure out life after college). I hope to have it ready for a tenant by the start of 2019. Overall, the condo is in great condition, but it needs a facelift. The HOA is run by some savvy investors who see the value in keeping costs down; the chefs have to eat their own cooking.

My goal is to increase my portfolio of rental properties until I can achieve early retirement. I hope to gain a working knowledge of the industry, make new contacts in the industry, and give back by passing that knowledge along to help other investors.

@Paul Tes

First thanks for your service to the country. Listen to the podcast here and elsewhere to gain further knowledge. Attend local meetups and REIA groups to learn and network with other investors. There is always something new to learn.

Good Luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you