Newbie from Kansas City, Missouri

20 Replies

Hi everyone.  My name is Jon Roberts, and I am from Kansas City, Missouri.  I don't have much experience in real estate unless you count the multiple hours of providing low-cost and free labor for my dad's rental business when I was younger.  I've always been interested in real estate investing because of my dad's background in it, but I didn't get serious until he offered to help me buy a new business or start my own last year.  I talked to my wife about it and considered buying a business, but I always seemed to come back to real estate.  My goal for this year is to purchase my first investment property and I'm currently trying to figure out how to make that a reality.

Currently, I work as an economic development consultant at one of the largest CPA firms in the Midwest.  I enjoy what I do now, but I don't want to spend my whole life working in the corporate world.  Over the past 2 months, I've been learning as much as I can about real estate through the BiggerPockets podcast and several books, but I know there is a limit to what I can learn using these tools.  Introducing myself here felt like a logical next step.  I really look forward to getting more involved in the BiggerPockets community!

Welcome, come out to connect with us TOMORROW - Tuesday March 12th at MAREI - see the events here on BP for full details - there will be about 150 or so there to network. We will be talking BRRRR with Andrew Syrios from here on BP and from Kansas City.

Hi Jon, 

Welcome to BP and congratulations on the new adventure (and life changing endeavor!).  

As mentioned above, I would also suggest attending local meetings as your schedule allows.  Of course the BP community is also outstanding and a wealth of information.  It sounds like you already have a great mentor with your dad being in the business. 

I'm local so feel free to reach out anytime.  

Welcome to BP!

I grew up in Kansas City, so I've built my business there remotely from Denver. Great rental market with incredible returns on the deals I've done. I actually just got a 4-plex under contract this weekend!

@Jon Roberts MAREI is definitely one place to connect. We also have a meetup happening next week ... it's actually (in just 4 months) the largest Meetup in KC. 200+ folks will be there / lots of contractors, investors, property managers, lenders etc ... and the feature speaker, an amazing sales trainer speaking ... John Martinez. He's amazing. Love to see you Tuesday!

@Jon Roberts

Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

Thanks @Nathan Brooks . I heard about the Bridge real estate meetup on podcast #319 and I signed up for this month's meeting immediately after listening to it.  I haven't made it to any other meetings or meetups in the area yet, so I'm excited for next week!

Welcome @Jon Roberts ,
I am from northern Missouri and am waiting for this weather to break a little so I can start attending the KC meetups and MAREI events on a regular basis, I hope to meet you there!

Bob Starlin

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here