Soon to be retired Marine, looking to start investing

2 Replies

Hello everyone, I am a 16 year active duty Marine looking to retire in 2023.  I was listening to some ebooks while commuting to San Diego and decided that I wanted to invest to make my money work for me.  I always told myself that money doesn't buy happiness but that line of thinking I felt was holding back my true potential.  I am currently researching and looking into either real estate rental properties or possible flipping.  I currently live and own a home in Winchester California.  If there are any actual investors in the area that have done these ventures, I would love to pick your brains and hear about your experiences.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Michael Mejia

Hey Michael,  retired in 2014 myself and live in San Diego. I’ve done a few out of state deals, but haven’t found anything in SD. You’ve got a heck of a commute. The menifee area is probably one of the most affordable areas and living there gives you a nice leg up. Keep up the education during commuting. If you want to get together, DM me and we’ll see how f we can get our schedules to match up. 

Hey Mike I live in Menifee, new to real estate. One problem I see in the Menifee area is that most of the (all the new communities) have a melorose that kills your cash flow! Have a couple of friends in the area that are renting there houses and all seem to be coming out of pocket a couple hundred a month. It’s one of the fastest growing cities in the state just gotta find the right neighborhood to make the numbers work for you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you