Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Cavellier
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Syracuse, NY
Votes |
Do I need a permit for an attic addition?

Bryan Cavellier
  • Syracuse, NY
Posted Sep 28 2019, 06:04

I am going to add a bedroom to a unit in the attic. I will not be changing any structure, just simple insulate, sheet rock, run some electrical, etc. Will I need to get a permit or do any type of paper work before this mini project? Thanks for any and all advice in advance!

Best,

Bryan

User Stats

Votes
John K.
  • Wholesaler/Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler/Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Sep 28 2019, 06:33

@Bryan Cavellier

My gut tells me that you will, because you will be running electricity and possibly structural changes. 
You will have to check with your cities permits division to determine just how many you will need. 

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Brenengen
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
ModeratorReplied Oct 1 2019, 05:05

@Bryan Cavellier Every area is different, but you will almost definitely needs a permit. Running electrical up there would require one in any place I know of.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Travis Harden
  • Lakewood, CO
Votes |
  • Lakewood, CO
Replied Oct 1 2019, 06:02

@Bryan Cavellier

I agree I'm pretty sure you will have to at least for electrical and I would think drywall. You can always go ask the city, in my experience they are always so helpful and besides it's nice getting to know them because they are a great resource.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Johnson
  • Lender
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Oct 1 2019, 06:14

Yes you would need a permit.  You are adding a bedroom.  They need to check egress for that bedroom and smoke alarms

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 1 2019, 07:05

You most likely need a permit, so ask the contractor that you intend to use as they will know best