Jaewon Lee
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Newbie in Charleston, SC!

Jaewon Lee
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Oct 9 2019, 13:41

Hello BP!

I’ve come across BiggerPockets last year while I was watching YouTube videos on financial independence. Since then I’ve really enjoyed listening to the BP podcasts, reading the books listed in the BP Bookstore, and going through inspiring stories on the forum.

I moved to Charleston earlier this year for an internal job transfer. With my apartment lease ending soon, I want to finally take action and start planning for my first property purchase. (I do understand that no deal is better than bad deal so I'm willing to be patient) My goal is to start house-hacking with a multifamily unit, but I'm also open to converting a detached garage into an ADU or using Airbnb to offset mortgage on a SFH.

I want to learn as much as possible from the resources available on this forum and replicate the success that many others here have achieved. I would really appreciate any tips or recommendations, especially from those who are familiar with the area. Thank you for your time!

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Oct 9 2019, 16:03

Don't let analysis paralysis make you sit on the sidelines for too long! It's a fine line to walk, and you need to know yourself to judge whether you're being derailed by paralysis by analysis. 

Some areas have a lot of regulatory bias against STRs. Just make sure you study the local regulations before diving into a STR strategy.

User Stats

Votes
Danny Randazzo
Pro Member
  • Apartment Syndicator
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Apartment Syndicator
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Oct 9 2019, 21:41

@Jaewon Lee come to the next breakfast meetup on 10/18 at 60 bull cafe from 7:30-9am. It’s a great place to meet a lot of real estate pros like @Russ Scheider @Troy Gandee @Kevin Douglas and many more great people

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Troy Gandee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Oct 10 2019, 05:22

Hi @Jaewon Lee. It's awesome that you're ready to start taking action. Feel free to reach out to me some time if you'd like to start searching for what's out there. Multifamily and ADUs are great for househacking. The inventory has been a little squeezed lately, but they're out there. Thanks for the mention @Danny Randazzo!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Oct 10 2019, 06:27
Originally posted by @Jaewon Lee:

Hello BP!

I’ve come across BiggerPockets last year while I was watching YouTube videos on financial independence. Since then I’ve really enjoyed listening to the BP podcasts, reading the books listed in the BP Bookstore, and going through inspiring stories on the forum.

I moved to Charleston earlier this year for an internal job transfer. With my apartment lease ending soon, I want to finally take action and start planning for my first property purchase. (I do understand that no deal is better than bad deal so I'm willing to be patient) My goal is to start house-hacking with a multifamily unit, but I'm also open to converting a detached garage into an ADU or using Airbnb to offset mortgage on a SFH.

I want to learn as much as possible from the resources available on this forum and replicate the success that many others here have achieved. I would really appreciate any tips or recommendations, especially from those who are familiar with the area. Thank you for your time!

Welcome to the site Jaewon

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Oct 10 2019, 06:32

@Jaewon Lee

You are in the right place to learn about real estate investing!

User Stats

Votes
Jack Butala
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 10 2019, 16:21

Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Jaewon Lee. BP is maybe the greatest free resource to help you get started in Real Estate Investment there is on the internet. Congratulations and I wish you a ton of success.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Wright
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Oct 11 2019, 17:55

@Jaewon Lee My mindset is the exact same. I have been doing research myself for a SFR to house hack. I think I am one of those being paralyzed trying to make sure the numbers work. Ahh! BP has been awesome for information and tools to get me started. Now it is time to get the ball rolling! @Danny Randazzo is this a private breakfast? That is something I should probably get over too and do some networking.

User Stats

Votes
Jaewon Lee
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Oct 11 2019, 19:15

@Taylor L. Analysis paralysis is definitely something that affects a lot of newbies like myself. I think setting realistic goals and timelines will help prevent it. Thank you for your advice!

User Stats

Votes
Jaewon Lee
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Oct 11 2019, 19:17

@Danny Randazzo Thank you for the info! Unfortunately i will be out of town next week but I will definitely attend the next one. Is the meetup bi-weekly? 

@Troy Gandee I really appreciate the offer. I'll definitely reach out once I start searching, which I'm hoping to be doing soon. Very excited!

User Stats

Votes
Jaewon Lee
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Oct 11 2019, 19:22

@James Wise @Charles Carillo @Jack Butala Thank you for the comments! The forum certainly is full of valuable info and great mentors, and I hope to make contributions to the community in the future as well.

User Stats

Votes
Danny Randazzo
Pro Member
  • Apartment Syndicator
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Apartment Syndicator
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Oct 11 2019, 23:26

@Jaewon Lee every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month

User Stats

Votes
Russ Scheider
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Mount Pleasant, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Mount Pleasant, SC
Replied Oct 13 2019, 15:20

@Jaewon Lee  Let me know how I can help.   Look forward to hearing from you.

Maven Realty Logo
Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.