Quick Intro from New Jersey!

9 Replies

Hey all!

I’ve been lurkin’ around the BP forums for several months but figured I should introduce myself. A little about myself below:

Name: Si or Simon; dealer’s choice

Born: 1990

Job: Work in compensation at one of the large investment brokerage firms (prior experience at a couple major human capital consulting firms)

Why Real Estate? Grew up watching Sarah Beeny shows and reading her books back in secondary-school (circa 04-05)! Come from a modest east London blue-collar family and never really thought I’d be in a situation where I could invest in property. Fortunate enough to have emigrated to America in 2015 and have found myself a solid job where investing in physical property is a reality

Market Focus: Open minded. Texas is my primary interest. Why? I’ve been there multiple times on client trips and have a genuine interest in the success of the state. Strong macroeconomics and growing population. Type of property? I'm more interest in multi-family but SFH is likely more realistic as a newbie without any backstops. Other states? Florida, Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee…  

Trivia: First in family to go to university and was lucky enough to be accepted to a Russell Group institution. Very proud moment for me!

Next Steps and questions: Continue to procrastinate and over-analyze (the sin of comp consultants) markets. (: In all seriousness, would love to close my first deal in 2020 and ultimately grow to a point where I can take care of myself and family, retire from FTE, and become an adjunct HR professor

• Any book recommendations? I’m not a fan of overly bombastic, salesy, get-rich-quick books. More textbook style is my preference
  • Any northern New Jersey meet up recommendations? I’m a pretty major introvert but should get out of my comfort zone

Appreciate everyone’s time reading, especially since I'm not overly interesting, and will be delighted to answer any questions

Cheers!

Si

Originally posted by @Si Marlow :

Hey all!

I’ve been lurkin’ around the BP forums for several months but figured I should introduce myself. A little about myself below:

Name: Si or Simon; dealer’s choice

Born: 1990

Job: Work in compensation at one of the large investment brokerage firms (prior experience at a couple major human capital consulting firms)

Why Real Estate? Grew up watching Sarah Beeny shows and reading her books back in secondary-school (circa 04-05)! Come from a modest east London blue-collar family and never really thought I’d be in a situation where I could invest in property. Fortunate enough to have emigrated to America in 2015 and have found myself a solid job where investing in physical property is a reality

Market Focus: Open minded. Texas is my primary interest. Why? I’ve been there multiple times on client trips and have a genuine interest in the success of the state. Strong macroeconomics and growing population. Type of property? I'm more interest in multi-family but SFH is likely more realistic as a newbie without any backstops. Other states? Florida, Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee…  

Trivia: First in family to go to university and was lucky enough to be accepted to a Russell Group institution. Very proud moment for me!

Next Steps and questions: Continue to procrastinate and over-analyze (the sin of comp consultants) markets. (: In all seriousness, would love to close my first deal in 2020 and ultimately grow to a point where I can take care of myself and family, retire from FTE, and become an adjunct HR professor

• Any book recommendations? I’m not a fan of overly bombastic, salesy, get-rich-quick books. More textbook style is my preference
  • Any northern New Jersey meet up recommendations? I’m a pretty major introvert but should get out of my comfort zone

Appreciate everyone’s time reading, especially since I'm not overly interesting, and will be delighted to answer any questions

Cheers!

Si

Welcome aboard Si.

This post has been removed.

@Si Marlow

Welcome to BP! There're a lot of groups in NJ including ours. We're actually meeting next Tuesday. More details under my profile as I don't think I can post here. There're also plenty of groups in NYC.

In terms of the books, 1) you haven't specified the exact topic; 2) I can share some MFH investing ones; 3) However in your case since you mentioned procrastination, I think you need to start with mindset-related books and exercises.  Read "The richest man in Babylon" and "Think and grow rich" for starters. 

Best!

Originally posted by @Alina Trigub :

@Si Marlow

Welcome to BP! There're a lot of groups in NJ including ours. We're actually meeting next Tuesday. More details under my profile as I don't think I can post here. There're also plenty of groups in NYC.

In terms of the books, 1) you haven't specified the exact topic; 2) I can share some MFH investing ones; 3) However in your case since you mentioned procrastination, I think you need to start with mindset-related books and exercises.  Read "The richest man in Babylon" and "Think and grow rich" for starters. 

Best!

Hey Alina,

Appreciate the response & recommendations - will take a look at the details under your profile! Good point - I wasn't specific on book recommendations but that was mainly because it is a little open-ended. Anything real estate related but I'm certainly interested in topics relating to more ancillary items around property ownership, i.e., legal structures, accounting, federal laws, tax/finance items, etc. :) 

(Was mainly kidding around with the procrastination comment!)

Cheers,

Si

Si,
Start with the ones I told you and then PM me for more. 

Originally posted by @Si Marlow :
Originally posted by @Alina Trigub:

@Si Marlow

Best!

Hey Alina,

Appreciate the response & recommendations - will take a look at the details under your profile! Good point - I wasn't specific on book recommendations but that was mainly because it is a little open-ended. Anything real estate related but I'm certainly interested in topics relating to more ancillary items around property ownership, i.e., legal structures, accounting, federal laws, tax/finance items, etc. :) 

(Was mainly kidding around with the procrastination comment!)

Cheers,

Si

@Si Marlow welcome to BP for Northern NJ meetups you may want to check the events tab here on the site or use the meet up app, there are several great ones out there just try a bunch and see which meet up group fits your style. If you want a non-sales book for getting started you may want to read is What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know about Cashflow. There are a bunch of great books on the site here as well written by the folks at BP

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here