• Lexington, VA 24450
Votes |
Hawaii transplant to VA

Ryan Braman
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lexington, VA 24450
Posted Nov 9 2019, 06:41

Good morning everyone! Recently moved from Hawaii, where I sold my former 'home-converted-to-rental' and used the proceeds to purchase a 5 unit apartment in Lexington VA, where I now reside. Bought my HI house in 2005, started renting it out in 2011, but the tenants and home were zero maintenance so I have very little actual landlording experience.

Recently widowed, 4 young children, 1 young Newfoundland puppy, 2 helpful but sometimes contankerous parents.

Educational background in business and engineering (the ocean kind), currently teaching at VMI..where there is no ocean. :(

There are, however, beautiful mountains, trees, and friendly people! I've been blown away by folk's hospitality and generosity, although it is taking a little adjustment to get used to the small town atmospherics..you have to plan way ahead to do work because small towns don't have the equipment or service resources that cities do.

Only recently became interested in investing for cash flow based on the financial conditions that my wife's passing has set..stumbled on bigger pockets as I charged into landlording with no real plan and no significant analysis. Hindsight is 20/20 as I've utilized my walk into work to listen to the BP podcasts; have gotten through around 30 of them so far, and start to understand how nuanced real estate investing can be. Thankful that God takes care of the stupid, however, and my purchase is looking at a respectable, not necessarily great, cap rate.

I am thrilled that BP exists, excited that in a few short weeks I feel like I have already learned so much but have only really scratched the surface, overwhelmed that I can see a path to financial stability for my family.

I look forward to interacting with and learning from so many of you, and eventually hopefully being a story that can possibly give other single dads and moms hope! Aloha, Ryan Braman.

Loading replies...