New member - Plant City, Florida

6 Replies

Hi BiggerPockets people! I'm Spencer from Plant City, Florida. I have just one SFR, and am looking to learn and grow my portfolio to at least two properties by the end of 2020. Plant City is pretty much right in between Lakeland and Tampa. I am interested in any SFRs or MFRs from Lakeland to Temple Terrace to Riverview. I'd love to grow my network with you guys, and hopefully we can all help each other make some money!

My parents were always into real estate and other businesses when I was a young kid. I used to be a door-to-door salesman, and then a math teacher. Now, in my early thirties, I am working in the corporate world as a statistician. When I was a salesperson, I read Rich Dad Poor Dad, listened to Brian Tracy and Zig Ziglar non-stop, and now the entrepreneurial itch is bothering me. I bought my first house a few years ago, and got it fully paid off. I moved out to get a bigger place for my family, and I am now getting a solid cash flow out of my rental (my former home). I want to use this to launch my investment portfolio, but am working to read some books, meet some experts, and make sure I know what I am doing before I jump all the way in! If you are from my area, please reach out, connect with me on LinkedIn, etc. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by @Spencer Funk :

Hi BiggerPockets people! I'm Spencer from Plant City, Florida. I have just one SFR, and am looking to learn and grow my portfolio to at least two properties by the end of 2020. Plant City is pretty much right in between Lakeland and Tampa. I am interested in any SFRs or MFRs from Lakeland to Temple Terrace to Riverview. I'd love to grow my network with you guys, and hopefully we can all help each other make some money!

My parents were always into real estate and other businesses when I was a young kid. I used to be a door-to-door salesman, and then a math teacher. Now, in my early thirties, I am working in the corporate world as a statistician. When I was a salesperson, I read Rich Dad Poor Dad, listened to Brian Tracy and Zig Ziglar non-stop, and now the entrepreneurial itch is bothering me. I bought my first house a few years ago, and got it fully paid off. I moved out to get a bigger place for my family, and I am now getting a solid cash flow out of my rental (my former home). I want to use this to launch my investment portfolio, but am working to read some books, meet some experts, and make sure I know what I am doing before I jump all the way in! If you are from my area, please reach out, connect with me on LinkedIn, etc. Thanks guys!

Welcome aboard Spencer.

@Spencer Funk Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Good luck going forward! 😁

sSo many things to say!! congratulations on first property. That can be the biggest hurdle.

You got a unique training that most of us do not get: door to door salesman. That seem to be a good learning experience of being told no. Use that.

Hope the best for you.

Welcome!  I have a Clearwater property, and the rest in the Space Coast.  You've got great underpinnings to your mindset with those "mentors" you have listened to.  Dig into the Biggerpockets podcasts and start thinking about strategies that resonate with you.

Welcome! Congrats on getting that first home paid off and establishing that cash flow. I actually live in Valrico and have been looking to invest in the same areas that you mentioned. I'd love to connect and exchange ideas as we progress. I look forward it!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you