New member from NorCal

3 Replies

Hi everyone!

I live in Sacramento, CA and have been listening to the BiggerPockets $ podcast for a little over a year now. My husband and I bought our first home about 2.5 years ago. We are currently in the process of selling that home with the plan to get into a househack instead. We have 2 kids (my stepkids) ages 9 and 7, so we will be in this area for at least the next 11 years. Our hope is that the househack will enable us to save aggressively and invest in out-of-state rental properties. I have relatives who live in Texas and have rentals there, so that is probably where we would look; however, I am also interested in Indiana. My goal is to own at least 15 doors total, consisting of 2-4 unit properties. I expect that I'll end up owning more than that, and then paring down to my favorite properties when I want to "retire."

Originally posted by @Adrielle Tecklenburg :

Hi everyone!

I live in Sacramento, CA and have been listening to the BiggerPockets $ podcast for a little over a year now. My husband and I bought our first home about 2.5 years ago. We are currently in the process of selling that home with the plan to get into a househack instead. We have 2 kids (my stepkids) ages 9 and 7, so we will be in this area for at least the next 11 years. Our hope is that the househack will enable us to save aggressively and invest in out-of-state rental properties. I have relatives who live in Texas and have rentals there, so that is probably where we would look; however, I am also interested in Indiana. My goal is to own at least 15 doors total, consisting of 2-4 unit properties. I expect that I'll end up owning more than that, and then paring down to my favorite properties when I want to "retire."

Welcome to BP and just read and learn as much as you can from this amazing community of like minded investors.  Good luck and take your time.

@Adrielle Tecklenburg hello and thank you for sharing your story!! I am also an investor (flipper) and agent here in Sacramento! Im sure your house has appreciated nicely in the last 2.5 years, are considering a 1031 exchange?  If you're not afraid of a little work you can utilize a 203k loan to be able to add some instant equity in a home that can use some upgrades. 

Lets chat more!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you