Newbie from Las Vegas, Nevada

8 Replies

Hi BP!,
My name is Isaac Pokojni and I am a new investor living in Las Vegas Nevada. I currently work in an unrelated field, however I have been excited about getting into real estate investment for a long time. I found bigger pockets randomly in doing research on REI.
I am interested in meeting and connecting with BP members. I am eager to learn and would love to meet investors and experts in my local area. Buy and hold and SFH/ maybe condo are my primary focus.

Anyone have any recommendations for:
Mortgage broker? Do I need one?
Real estate agents?
Real estate attorney?

Hey @Isaac Pokojni welcome to BiggerPockets! I can't help you with the recommendations, but I can suggest that to help stay in touch with those around you, set up some Keyword Alerts for words like "Las Vegas" or "Nevada" so when they are discussed - you'll be notified via email. It's pretty great.

Also - be sure to (if you haven't yet) check out "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing" to help you get going.

Any idea what kind of investing you wanna get into?

Thanks for the welcome Brandon! Actually, Then beginner guide it what introduced me to BP. I signed up after I read it. It is great!

I am interested in buy and hold rental properties. Initially I was interested in purchasing a condo and SFH but the more I study and read about other experiences with condos as well as the latest podcast on BP it seems that condos are not always as favorable as I may have thought. So SFH are on my radar.

Although: Do you guys think that a condo for an initial purchase that generates positive cash flow might still be a good investment to get my "feet wet"? I thought that the tax break, positive cash flow, and development of tenant landlord property management experience might be a good place to start?

Ultimately I would like to own numerous properties that I can have managed by property management

Thanks guys!

I'm the, It depends on your goals, guy. Once you figure out what your goals for real estate investing are going to be then the path becomes a lot cleaner. Vegas is becoming a hard place to invest in. But people are still making plenty of money as long as they have a good plan, and spend the time finding the deals that work for them.

"as long as they have a good plan, and spend the time finding the deals that work for them."

Bingo!

And, I'd add, as long as they keep learning so that they can get creative (without lots of risk).

More of the investors I talk to here in Vegas are doing a lot more interesting investing deals than in the past few years out of necessity. A few years back any old property off the MLS would cash flow. Now, not so much.

But the ones who are educating themselves and then doing creative things are the ones profiting, from what I've seen.

There's a BiggerPocket meetup in Henderson (run by Phil, who posted above) a week from Tuesday, hope to see you there!

@Isaac Pokojni welcome to BP. I too am from Las Vegas born and raised. if you are still in need of a good loan officer email me and I will send you the contact info for a few that we work with and have proven to be able close the loans they pre-approve without last minute hiccups.

I lead a team of agents and would be happy to help answer any questions you might have about the Vegas market.

As others have mentioned @Phillip Dwyer often hosts meetups too if you want to meet some of the local people face to face.

Good luck with your real estate journey and don't hesitate to contact me should there be something I can help you with .

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you