New to RE Investing looking for best area to buy 1st property

4 Replies

New to this world of RE investing and I'm looking for some insight on where to buy my 1st property. I live in CA but i'm looking to invest out of state due to high entry price for me. I have been considering Jacksonville, fl because I have some family there I can leverage. Which area or zip codes I should be looking at in Jacksonville and which area should i stay away from? I am looking at SFR and a buy and hold strategy. What other market can I consider other than Jacksonville? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Lucious,

Welcome to BP!

I would stay away from the Urban Core area (32206, 32209, 32254, some areas of 32208). You can get reasonable returns and decent tenants on C-class areas such as 32218, parts of 32208, 32205, 33210, 32244, and some areas on the Arlington side of the River.

Just find yourself a great broker with good knowledge of the city.

Good luck!

Thank you Gerardo.

Originally posted by @Gerardo Waisbaum :

Hi Lucious,

Welcome to BP!

I would stay away from the Urban Core area (32206, 32209, 32254, some areas of 32208). You can get reasonable returns and decent tenants on C-class areas such as 32218, parts of 32208, 32205, 33210, 32244, and some areas on the Arlington side of the River.

Just find yourself a great broker with good knowledge of the city.

Good luck!

Thank you Gerardo. I will keep you posted as I traveled this road the first time.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you