Finding a job in real estate

5 Replies

Hey guys, I'm from a small suburb outside of Chicago IL, (Norridge), and a senior in high school. I'm very interested in RE investing (Flipping, Wholesaling, Rentals). I'm currently in the phase of my life from being a high schooler to figuring out what I want to do with my life. My main goal is to own three multifamily properties by the age of 26. But until I can fulfill my dream I need to find a job/career. 

What jobs are available today that I can enter that relate to RE besides becoming an agent or broker? 

Hey dude, I'd look into becoming a leasing agent initially.  Smaller upfront cost with a decent income potential. Plus that will also help you learn about leases which will help with your long term goal.

@Johnathon Witkowski As a kid in the 1970's we lived in the Belmont/Central Cragin neighborhood in Chicago and we used to visit the mall out there in Norridge (one of the first big ones in the area).

Check out entry positions in commercial sales and leasing available in your area.  A great way to learn a lot about the local real estate market in a short time.  It also could provide you with a broader perspective of what is possible out there.    A law degree focused on courses with real estate implications (property, secured transactions, creditor rights, trusts and estates/probate, landlord-tenant, securities law, REITs) will stand you in good stead long term.       

Hey @Jonathan

Congrats to you for your ambition! Check out this article I wrote for the BP blog:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

If you are looking to connect with someone for some guidance or advice, feel free to reach out. I recommend you also read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/..

@Johnathon Witkowski you have a lot of options in real estate as far as careers go. You can become an inspector, an appraiser, a lender, an insurance adjuster, a contractor/projector manager. The list goes on and on, but I would think through which skill set it is you would like to learn. There are quite a few companies where you could get an entry level job before or during college that would put you light years ahead when it comes to understanding how this game is played. You should definitely consider interning with someone like @Mark Ainley if you want to learn the management and some of the construction side of the business. He has done it all. Let the group here know which side of the business most interests you and we can keep providing direction. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you