Delaware Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Annie Zhao
Votes |
Renting out a house by the room during COVID19

Annie Zhao
Posted Jun 16 2020, 21:42

Hello all! I own a 3-bedroom house in Delaware. I have been renting out rooms separately to tenants since 2018. One tenant is moving out next month, and I have received many rental applications for that room. After doing a credit and background check, I found a great prospective tenant who works as a healthcare counselor (Let's call her Stephanie). One tenant who has been living in the house since last year (let's call her Michele) asked me what Stephanie does for living, her nationality etc. Michele said she is very scared of COVID19 and does not want to live with someone who may need to meet with many people on a daily basis, and she wanted me to ask Michele about her health conditons. So my questions are:

1) As a landlord, am I obligated to answer Michele's questions about Stephanie?

2) While I understand Michele's concerns about COVID19, I don't feel comfortable asking Stephanie questions related to her health, especially it's something related to COVID19. If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

3) In the worst case scenario, if Michele contracts COVID19 and she thinks it's because of Stephanie, as a landlord, should I be responsible, legally speaking?

Thank you so much for your response in advance!

Loading replies...