Votes
Jonathan Roldan
Pro Member
Votes |
Homestead Exemption Please Help

Jonathan Roldan
Pro Member
Posted Jan 15 2022, 12:40

I found myself in a predicament. Me and my wife just purchased a new primary residence (we are both on the deed) and I’m in the process of filing our homestead exemption. She has a 12 year old daughter (my stepdaughter) from a previous relationship, who is currently attending an A class public school. Where we moved is not in her school zone so my wife has not updated our new address on her drivers license out of fear that they will make us relocate her daughters school. When filling out the application for homestead it stated that all owners need to be added and that both owners addresses need to reflect the current address or else the application will be denied. I expect that if the application gets denied my property taxes may jump significantly. Ive been trying to find a way around this without having to change my step daughters school zone, however, I don’t know if I have any other options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

User Stats

Votes
Bob Norton
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Slidell, LA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Slidell, LA
Replied Jan 16 2022, 13:38

@Jonathan Roldan You could contact the school board to see if there is a waiver you can get so that your daughter can continue attending the school.  We were able to do this with our daughters because we lived within a certain distance of the school we wanted them to attend.  I know others that received authorizations for their kids to attend certain schools because certain programs were offered at their preferred school while those same programs were not offered at the school in zoned where they lived.