• Miami, FL
Votes |
First Time Home Buyer in Miami in need of an Attorney

Ryan Martin
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Jan 20 2022, 14:14

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

I recently purchased my first home and unfortunately, the celebration didn't last long.

I am in need of a reliable attorney who can help advise us on undisclosed latent defects that the sellers must have known about. They did not provide a seller's property disclosure and we just found out we have water meter-pipe leakages and mold issues that we need to remediate as soon as possible. 

I would really appreciate it if anyone can recommend an attorney that specializes in beaches of real estate contracts to help direct me in approaching this situation.

Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Branden Rivero
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jan 21 2022, 06:25

did you get an inspection done ?

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Martin
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jan 24 2022, 15:23

@Branden Rivero

Yes I did, however, the inspector missed a lot of things that I learned about upon moving in. We got an inspection done on the property on Dec 6th. The seller, the seller's agent, my agent, and the tenants all were present at the time of inspection however I was not present. The inspection report that we received, however, did not include any findings of water damage and only recommended that the now areas of interest be "evaluated for repair by a painting contractor or handyman". His report overall came back with what I took as only minor issues that needed to be addressed that weren't of major concern.

The AC unit did not have a safety switch installed, or a security drop tray to prevent leaks and had a hole in the main duct leading to the ductwork of the house.

He failed to report this huge rip in the plenum of the AC or this hole in the drywall of one of the bedrooms.

He was "Unable to locate the water heater" when it's clearly visible in this supply closet.

There are many components to this so I am looking for solid legal counsel. The tenants are being coorperative and getting us as much evidence in writing that they can. So far we have text messages from the tenants showcasing negligence on the owner's part.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Branden Rivero
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jan 25 2022, 06:36

I would go after the inspector and not the seller

User Stats

Votes
Tristan Gardner
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, OH
Replied Jan 25 2022, 07:47

I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with the seller on this one. The issue seems to be more on the inspector rather than the seller themselves.

You may be able to go after the seller on the items they failed to disclose on the contract, but that''ll be it