• Real Estate Broker
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Mass Texting Thoughts

Javier Santana
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Jan 28 2022, 12:34

Have you guys been receiving a bunch of text messages regarding real estate investing? 

Ive noticed an influx of text lately about my properties I own. Are you guys noticing the same thing? 

What are you thoughts about it

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 28 2022, 12:42

Haven’t noticed them lately but I’ve gotten them before. It’s just wholesalers buying name/number lists. It is what it is, I just reply STOP

User Stats

Votes
Javier Santana
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 28 2022, 12:50

I feel like the text come in waves. I find it interesting, get some funny openers

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 28 2022, 13:03
It is total spam and it is against the law. I have tried calling the phone numbers and they don't even take phone calls because they use spoof numbers. I have even started texting back, "yes I am interested in selling" and I rarely get a response. I have concluded that these mass text are coming from inexperienced people that are new to the business. 

I love the postcards too. I got ten postcards on the same day, each for different properties. They didn't even bother to filter their list for duplicate owners, haha. 

User Stats

Votes
BiggerPockets Investor Concierge
Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 28 2022, 19:29
This type of communication is growing rapidly and I believe it is a real problem. The companies that enable these types of mass texts often champion the high conversion rate of text compared to other mediums but ultimately I believe it will backfire.

I anticipate this type of marketing will,
1. Continue to grow in use 
2. Diminish the value of text as a communication channel
3. Cause a resurgence in more old school communication methods like postcards, letters, personal phone calls, door to door exc. 

I was discussing this with an investor that has been very successful in finding off market deals and they said the best advice they were ever given was to go to your local REI meetups and find out what other people are doing.

Then DO THE OPPOSITE. 

User Stats

Votes
Javier Santana
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 29 2022, 07:40

Haha good advise, do the opposite of what the crowd does. I feel like that applies in so many ways lol

User Stats

Votes
Mike S.
  • Investor
  • Broward County, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Broward County, FL
Replied Jan 31 2022, 07:55

Like phone robocall, these are illegal. Why would I ever want to work with a business using illegal methods?

I now even receive spam calls at 5 am... Ridiculous.