Skip to content
Georgia Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Ola Olusoga
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
Best way to learn Atlanta (ITP, beltline, or OTP) market?

Ola Olusoga
  • Marietta, GA
Posted Aug 30 2019, 17:27

Hi there,

Looking to learn more about the ATL market. I'm fairly new to REI. Been in GA for a few years—my primary residence is in Marietta, GA—and have been toying with the idea of diving into investing in a few properties.

The last few months, I've been researching, and driving around neighborhoods (westend, bankhead, grant park, westside, e.t.c). Almost made a few bad deals, and realized I was being reactive, and need to learn a bit more.

Any recommendations on how to find deals in today market? Where the opportunity in ATL is at the moment? For experienced folks, if you were starting today where you would focus?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Concord, GA
Replied Aug 30 2019, 17:30

Learn the market close to where you already live north of Atlanta. Find the best deals you can find there and dive in. The grass isn't always greener somewhere else. 

User Stats

Votes
Ola Olusoga
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
  • Marietta, GA
Replied Aug 30 2019, 18:12

Thanks for the feedback @John Teachout. Any recommendations on how to best learn the north of Atlanta area? 

Though we currently live in Marietta. We're planning on purchasing our next property—multifamily, we'll live in 1 unit—within the next 12-16 months. We'll be renting out our current property. We'd like to move within, or closer to Atlanta. Thinking westside Atlanta, by the upcoming bellwood quarry park.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find Hard Money Lenders in Georgia! BiggerPockets Lending Directory

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Concord, GA
Replied Aug 30 2019, 19:46

I don't really know Atlanta even though I live close to it. Unless I HAVE to go there for some reason, most of my experience is driving through the city to get somewhere else. Like any region anywhere, the way to learn it is to move around in it and make observations. Ride bikes, walk, etc. and you'll learn your community and what it's like. We're in a rural area here about 50 miles south of the city so I'm no expert on anything inside the perimeter. Are you trying to move closer to work? I know commuting in/out of the city sucks pretty bad so being closer is a big help.

User Stats

Votes
Ola Olusoga
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
  • Marietta, GA
Replied Aug 31 2019, 19:40

>Like any region anywhere, the way to learn it is to move around in it and make observations. Ride bikes, walk, etc. and you'll learn your community and what it's like.

thanks for the tip. Spent the day driving around NW/SW Atlanta today. Talked to the folks in the neighborhood. Walked around a little.

>Are you trying to move closer to work?

No. We like being close to the city, and would like to move closer to areas with things in walking distance. We're planning on buying, living in the property for 1-2 yrs, then moving to the next.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Hershberger
  • Riverdale, Ga
Votes |
  • Riverdale, Ga
Replied Sep 3 2019, 11:37

Hey @Ola Olusoga I would recommend going to the Atlanta REI meet ups. They are always the last week of every month. The past couple of months have been at The Ivy in Buckhead. There you will meet experienced as well as new investors to speak with and learn from. They have speakers, lenders, property managers, and contractors to meet with, connect, and learn from. I have been going the past couple months and it is always a great experience!