Pro Member
  • Priest Lake, ID
Votes |
Understanding foreclosures / auctions in N. Idaho

Tracey Hamilton
Pro Member
  • Priest Lake, ID
Posted Apr 17 2018, 14:31

Hi everyone. I'm trying to understand the foreclosure / auction process in Idaho, and getting more confused as I go. I've been warned by multiple realtors that even when buying from the bank via MLS or auction, there are still potentially actionable tax liens, timber liens, +40 acre farm reinstatement perogative, or stumpage liens, among a few other things.

This particular property is currently being offered in an online auction with auction.com, and is also being offered on their local MLS (which is how I've seen them done here in Oregon). There was a Trustee's Sale last June, and it would appear that the bank took back the property.

Wouldn't the bank taking back the property at the Trustee's Sale extinguish all lesser liens and claims on the property?  Excluding tax liens, of course, but the bank would keep those paid up, so that shouldn't be an issue, correct? 

What am I missing in the process that leads to these properties being risky purchases at the online auction or from the MLS due to actionable liens?

Thanks!!