Idaho Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Linda Hamburg
Votes |
Idaho Falls is my next home destination

Linda Hamburg
Posted Aug 25 2019, 14:49

Can anyone tell me which areas I do not want to live in? 

If I should think about buying land verses already owned?

If single moms do fairly well there for child care, live in nanny?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Mitchell
  • Investor
  • Idaho
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Idaho
Replied Aug 25 2019, 15:34

Hey Linda, I'd be glad to help you out.

the numbered streets by the Zoo and Tautphaus Park are pretty good places to live. There is a little premium you pay, but the location is pretty central.

There are some newer places to buy land and build on, but in most cases I personally prefer already owned houses. Just depends what you are looking for.

Childcare isn't too hard to find and I have worked/volunteered in some of the elementary schools around town and really enjoyed it.

I'll send you a message with my contact information so that I can help you with any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Don Spafford
  • Investor
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Replied Aug 26 2019, 07:42

@Linda Hamburg I am in Idaho Falls (Ammon), moved here about 4 years ago. We would love to help you find your new home. Everything of course depends on what you are looking for. The space you need, how old or new of a home you want, and of course your budget. There aren't really any "bad" locations, this isn't like a large city where you have warzones and such. But there are areas that are more desirable than others. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. If you are going to visit to look at homes before you move here we can help get that arranged for you. I wish you the best! And welcome to Idaho Falls! We do have a local REIA meeting here as well.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Dzado
  • Port Orchard, WA
Votes |
  • Port Orchard, WA
Replied Aug 26 2019, 08:04

For what it's worth, I lived there for a short while about a decade ago (we live in Washington near Seattle now). My wife is from Idaho Falls (near the airport), and I'm closing on a rental property next week in Idaho Falls. As I've considered "emergency backup plans" over the years--we would look into moving out towards Ammon. It seems easier to find the better schools in area out there.

I do recommend reaching out to Don ^^^^, he is very helpful :)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 16 2019, 20:52

I've lived here my whole life. Idaho Falls is a nice area though due to its growth taxes are really quite high. There are other areas that are close by that are cheaper to live such as Rigby in Jefferson County to the North or you'er welcome to head south to Bingham county with the Shelly area.

User Stats

Votes
Craig Jeppesen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chubbuck, ID
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chubbuck, ID
Replied Sep 16 2019, 21:01

When moving, I always recommend renting for 6 months while you learn the area. Having said that there really is no bad areas in IF. Ammon is a suburb of IF and is where most of the growth is happening. The RE market is still hot and people continue to move in from out of state. I don’t think you will find many live in nanny’s here in east Idaho.

I recommend Copper Creek if you are interested in buying a new home.