Jay Garrison
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Chicago evicition tenant cannot be found

Jay Garrison
  • Chicago, IL
Posted May 4 2019, 05:58

Hello,

I just bought a two flat and I am having trouble locating one of the tenants. This tenant is on a month to month lease and only wants to communicate by phone or email. They haven't paid for the garden unit for a couple of months and it is rubbished, with clothes thrown around and a fridge full of rotting food. Worse, they have a broken (but newer model) car sitting smack dab in the middle of the two car garage. I went to the Cook County office that handles evictions and they told me if I cannot locate the tenant to physically give them a 5 day quit/pay notice or a 30 day notice, I cannot do anything. 

I am thinking about offering them cash for keys, $200 if they get their junk and car out this weekend, and if not I will start the eviction proceedings. I will then mention that it looks like someone tried force open the garage door so I had to change the locks (tenant has keys to garage) and so when he is ready to get his car to let me know and I will open up the garage. Someone seems to have disabled the garage door opener as well, which I can easily fix once I have signed documents stating his intent.

I know Chicago/Illinois is renter friendly, but (of course I won't take it as strict legal advice) what do you think about my course of action above? Thanks in advance, I am happy to be a landlord!

Loading replies...