Real Estate Attorney Kansas City - Is this quote normal?

6 Replies

Hi all,

I'm an upcoming Investor in the KCMO market. I wanted to know exactly what I was getting myself into so I set an appointment with a RE Attorney in KC. The going rate is $250/hr and I figured the first meeting would take about an hour to to get my questions answered about the wholesaling process, starting an LLC and my ideas on how I'm hoping to fund my multifamily investments in the next year. Is $250/hr a good rate? I'll gladly pay a fair rate to limit my chances of running into bigger problems later on but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners due to ignorance just starting out. Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

Generally you get what you pay for. I have a great attorney who has saved me a lot of money and he's a bit more than $250 /hr. 

I am looking for multifamily properties in KC (20-50 unit). 

Thanks Erik!

Most bar associations have an inexpensive lawyer referral service, where you can have an initial consultation for really cheap.  It might be worth taking them up on it, if it's available for your state.  It will be much cheaper to see if you will even want to continue to do business with him/her.  $250 is an expensive interview, in my opinion.

@Sidney King I found it online:

http://www.mobar.org/lrs/clients.htm

They charge a $50 fee to refer you to a lawyer, and that entitles you to 30 minutes for a consultation.

Thank you Sue!  I'm going to look into the local bar.  I can always follow up with the more expense  attorney later if the bar doesn't work out!

Originally posted by @Sidney King :

Thank you Sue!  I'm going to look into the local bar.  I can always follow up with the more expense  attorney later if the bar doesn't work out!

That's what I thought, too.  You could interview a bunch of attorneys for your $250 LOL!