Off Topic

User Stats

Votes
Serita Huff
Votes |
Land Trust used in place of your LLC

Serita Huff
Posted Oct 17 2022, 18:34

Is it true that real estate investors can utilize, I believe a land trust instead of an LLC for a level of protection on their investments? If not a land trust then some other vehicle? Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Oct 17 2022, 18:48
Quote from @Serita Huff:

Is it true that real estate investors can utilize, I believe a land trust instead of an LLC for a level of protection on their investments? If not a land trust then some other vehicle? Thank you

speak to your attorney but its my understanding trusts do not provide asset protection unless its irrevocable trust which opens up a lot of other problems. 

User Stats

Votes
Olia Fogel
  • Attorney
  • New York
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New York
Replied Oct 18 2022, 11:33

The main benefit of a land trust is that it provides property owner with anonymity. This is because with a land trust, the property’s owner is listed as the name of the trust itself, and your personal information is not associated with any public records related to ownership of your property. As the beneficiary, you retain full control of your property. You can manage it as you wish, rent it to others, or even sell it whenever you want. 

A land trust alone, however, does not provide limited liability, like an LLC would.

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Serita Huff
Votes |
Replied Oct 18 2022, 14:43

Okay, thank you