• Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
How to Deal With a Mindset Shift Different From Those Around You

Thomas O'Donnell
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Nov 25 2022, 11:09

Before I bought my first property 2 months ago, I spent a year and a half educating myself on real estate through books/podcasts/Biggerpockets. During this time I managed to save up a good chunk of change (about $15k) from working a lot of OT and moving back in with my parents. Once I felt ready, I packed up everything I owned and my 2 cats and drove across the country to Columbus, Ohio to begin my investing journey (July 2022). 

I found that during the time I spent learning about how to obtain financial freedom through real estate, I began growing apart from a majority of my friends who I had grown up around and always hung out with. I started realizing that I was constantly trying to better my knowledge, life and just the path I was on while they were stuck doing the same thing day in and day out with no aspirations to create a better future for themselves or their family. After having this mindset shift for about 2 years now, I still talk to all my same friends but we don't really relate on anything, and whenever I've tried to teach them things or give them recommendations to better their financial situations/future, they kind of blow me off or think I am being cocky when I talk about the things I am accomplishing. 

Since moving to Columbus, I haven't really made many friends and when I try to, we just don't really have much in common. I guess my questions are: How do you deal with a mindset shift when no one around you is on the same page? Would it be crappy of me to kind of start cutting ties with people who have been "friends" for over a decade just because we never have things in common and can never talk about my passions with them? How do you find new friends when you just moved across the country and don't know anybody? 

I really want to surround myself with like-minded people who also love real estate, or are just about growing in general. I would love to make friends or connections with those who are very similar to myself. I don't ever want to get complacent and I feel like everyone around me at the moment is. I'm sure I am not the only one dealing with this struggle, so all input and/or advice would be awesome as I am sure many of us could benefit from it. Thanks!

Loading replies...