Skip to content
Off Topic

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Ruppert
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Fire next door...damage to my rental property.

Lauren Ruppert
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Posted Nov 24 2023, 18:24

Hello all!

I'm not sure where I need to post this, but here goes....  I have a rental property that is a row home.  The home next door had a fire and now there is damage to my property.  It looks like water/drywall and the roof.  I'm wondering how to proceed.   Of course we have insurance, but do I need to file a claim with my insurance? Or, do I try and find out who their insurance carrier is?   

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Nov 24 2023, 18:31

Talk to your insurance provider and also get the name and insurance info from the neighbour who had the fire.  This is why you pay insurance people....for them to sort it out.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy VanDelinder
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Nov 25 2023, 08:53

Background: I flip fire-damaged houses and own a restoration company. Have dealt with this many times. 

I am sorry you are dealing with this. 

Your carrier will try to get you to claim it from your neighbor's policy; your neighbor's adjuster will try to convince you to do it through your insurance company. There are pros and cons, both ways, but my recommendation is make a claim with your insurance carrier. This is called a "subrogate loss"

Hire a quality restoration company and trust them to do the work and bill it properly. Do not allow the insurance carrier to bring in "their guy" (preferred vendor). Sometimes preferred vendors are good; sometimes they just do the insurance company's bidding instead of looking out for the customer. 

Let me know if I can help by answering any questions.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Nov 25 2023, 09:07

You file a claim with your insurance. Your insurance company will work it out with the neighbors insurance company. 

District Invest Group Logo