Votes
Patricia C.
Votes |
Second hand smoke issue

Patricia C.
Posted Dec 5 2023, 05:37

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I recently purchased a condo in Norwalk. My plan is to fix it up and rent it out. It’s been 2 months since we’ve been here. 
We have been smelling cigarette smoke, and it’s pretty bad. I went to the property manager several times and there has been zero resolution. He says that he asked the neighbors if they smoked and they said no, so the property manager is saying there is nothing he can do about it. I then emailed the president of the board , and didn’t get any response. I’m at a loss at this point. I can’t begin to tell you how strong the smell is. Morning day and night. When my boyfriend was ripping the floors up, it smelled like an old bar under the subfloors. I am not sure what to do at this point to resolve this. Maybe consult a lawyer? 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 5 2023, 05:59
Quote from @Patricia C.:

Hello,

I recently purchased a condo in Norwalk. My plan is to fix it up and rent it out. It’s been 2 months since we’ve been here. 
We have been smelling cigarette smoke, and it’s pretty bad. I went to the property manager several times and there has been zero resolution. He says that he asked the neighbors if they smoked and they said no, so the property manager is saying there is nothing he can do about it. I then emailed the president of the board , and didn’t get any response. I’m at a loss at this point. I can’t begin to tell you how strong the smell is. Morning day and night. When my boyfriend was ripping the floors up, it smelled like an old bar under the subfloors. I am not sure what to do at this point to resolve this. Maybe consult a lawyer? 

Sell the condo and buy a house.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 5 2023, 06:02

Do you know it isn't coming from your unit?  Buy an ozone machine off amazon, let it run for 24 hours with no one in the unit and see if that fixes the smell.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Patricia C.
Votes |
Replied Dec 5 2023, 06:40
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Do you know it isn't coming from your unit?  Buy an ozone machine off amazon, let it run for 24 hours with no one in the unit and see if that fixes the smell.

We actually did purchase an air purifier to get rid of the smell. We also ran the heat and air . Its not coming from us :/

User Stats

Votes
Patricia C.
Votes |
Replied Dec 5 2023, 06:42

@James Wise I would loose money at this point. My interest rate was at 7.35%

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 5 2023, 07:07
Quote from @Patricia C.:

@James Wise I would loose money at this point. My interest rate was at 7.35%

Them's the brakes.

User Stats

Votes
Patricia C.
Votes |
Replied Dec 5 2023, 07:42

No clue what that means? 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#3 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#3 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Dec 5 2023, 09:29

What do your HOA bylaws state about smoking?

If it's not covered in them, there is nothing you can do.

User Stats

Votes
Patricia C.
Votes |
Replied Dec 5 2023, 09:42

@Michael Smythe this is what my bylaw reads: 

"No smoking shall be permitted in Common Elements within fifty (50) feet of any building. All cigarette butts must be disposed of safely and properly and not left in common areas or drains"

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Dec 5 2023, 09:44
Quote from @Patricia C.:

Hello,

I would check with HOA on allowing smoking.
When you did the remodel what did you do for the remodel? Carpet and paint? Might need to do more to get the smoke smell out completely. 

• Real Estate Agent Ca (#01968986)

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patricia C.
Votes |
Replied Dec 5 2023, 09:59

@Peter Mckernan This is what the bylaws say, any insight to this? We took up all the carpet. Unfortunately, its not in the house, its continuous smoking of the next door neighbors

"No smoking shall be permitted in Common Elements within fifty (50) feet of any building. All cigarette butts must be disposed of safely and properly and not left in common areas or drains"

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Dec 5 2023, 13:28

So to be clear, this is something that is not active smoke as far as you know? (of course it's as far as you know).
Might there be a smoker in the property that lived there a long time ago?

@Patricia C.

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patricia C.
Votes |
Replied Dec 5 2023, 13:44

@Peter Mckernan I am about 99% sure its the next door neighbors who have lived there for maybe over 20+ years... 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Dec 5 2023, 14:47
Quote from @Patricia C.:

@Peter Mckernan I am about 99% sure its the next door neighbors who have lived there for maybe over 20+ years... 

Think that might be a HOA conversation and deeper per the HOA rules/regs. I am not an attorney, but might need to ask some follow ups on that how to handle that with the HOA and the purchase of the deal.

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 5 2023, 16:20
Quote from @Patricia C.:
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

We actually did purchase an air purifier to get rid of the smell. We also ran the heat and air . Its not coming from us :/

I was wondering if it was from the subfloor as you are renovating.  The ozone machine doesn't work quite the same way as an air purifier-it is 'better' for cleaning things.

User Stats

Votes
James McGovern
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bloomfield CT
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bloomfield CT
Replied Dec 7 2023, 10:39
Quote from @Patricia C.:
We actually did purchase an air purifier to get rid of the smell. We also ran the heat and air . Its not coming from us :

An air purifier is not the same thing as an ozone machine. Try that.