Off Topic

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Curtin
Votes |
Out-of-country Real Estate Investing

Daniel Curtin
Posted Jan 16 2024, 19:34

Has anyone invested out-of-country? I’m particularly looking at San Juan, Puerto Rico. I assume the process isn’t too different than investing out-of-state, especially since PR is a commonwealth of the US. I’d just like to connect with someone that has done it.

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Morea
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Jan 17 2024, 05:09

I've invested in a number of properties in Puerto Rico, mostly but on exclusively in San Juan.  Sometimes the contracts and especially the deeds are in Spanish.  Cap rates tend to be higher and using banks to finance is more difficult, so if you can raise private capital and pay cash, there's lots of money to be made.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Curtin
Votes |
Replied Jan 17 2024, 10:11

Hi Kathryn,Thank you for your input. 

Would you mind sharing your contact information so we could set up a time to talk over the phone? I’d love to talk with you more in depth about this.

At a brief glance, I’ve already seen a few multi-families where I’m staying in Hato Rey for $55,000+. I haven’t done much hard analysis, but when I see new Porsches parked outside on the same street and see what rents are going for, my interest was piqued. However, it almost seems too good to be true.

- Dan

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Morea
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Jan 18 2024, 07:41

Hi Daniel - Sure, the best thing to do is probably to come to our next meeting on Thursday.  You can find it on eventbrite.  I can't post it here or the moderators will delete.  Also you can message me directly.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron T.
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Replied Feb 15 2024, 10:46
Quote from @Daniel Curtin:

Would you mind sharing your contact information so we could set up a time to talk over the phone? I’d love to talk with you more in depth about this.

At a brief glance, I’ve already seen a few multi-families where I’m staying in Hato Rey for $55,000+. I haven’t done much hard analysis, but when I see new Porsches parked outside on the same street and see what rents are going for, my interest was piqued. However, it almost seems too good to be true.

- Dan

remember that Porsche may belong to a kid who inherited his family land and does not pay a mortgage. This is not uncommon down here. 

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Morea
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Feb 16 2024, 11:45
Quote from @Daniel Curtin:

- Dan

Hi Dan, if you can join us for a meeting, it's on eventbrite, can't link here or it gets deleted (we are meeting Thursday) or the 2nd Sat each month, it's a great way to get to know other investors and get a feel for the market.