Votes |
Points & Miles (Travel Related)

Derek G.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Toney, AL
Posted Apr 9 2017, 04:26

Hi All!

I love to travel. Europe, Middle-East, Asia, tropics you name it. I fly quite frequently either for work or for leisure. I traveled for many years and didn't utilize the advantages of miles and points programs. I do now and have done so for a couple years now. There are many strategies out there. Today I'll share my strategy. If any of you have some other ideas, please let me know. 
Here is what I do every trip I book.
1. Book travel packages (Flight + Hotel) on Expedia *Expedia Points
2. Enter FF miles numbers for corresponding airlines *FF Miles
3. Enter my SPG number for hotels. *SPG Points
4. Utilize my travel credit card to complete booking. *Travel Points with bank (Disclaimer: I do not pay interest on this since I pay it off instantly. Otherwise it defeats the purpose.)
I have done what many call "Quadruple dipping". I am earning points and miles on 4 different platforms for one single trip. 
Over the past 2 years, I have gotten enough points on all platforms to redeem a trip worth $75,000+ (Yeah, I like to save and horde).
You would have to be mad not to sign up for points when you travel. 
I know people who don't travel often, but still manage to take free trips once a year just utilizing their travel credit card. Use it to pay for everything. House, car, food, utilities etc. The points rack up. The only stipulation here is that you pay that sucker off. You have to be VERY disciplined with money management. 
Also, I prefer the card with points that don't expire and no foreign transaction fees. 
I know some people like "Travel Hacking" and I'm willing to bet there are fellow travel lovers on here who do this regularly. I'm curious how you go about points & miles. Perhaps there is a better strategy I could be doing. 
Thanks in advance! 

Loading replies...