Skip to content
Off Topic

User Stats

Votes
Troy Peters
  • Cypress, TX
Votes |
Don't know where to post this question, move if needed.

Troy Peters
  • Cypress, TX
Posted Apr 21 2017, 21:24

Im not an investor.  I have aspirations of being one, and need some serious advice.

I just listened to the podcast with Scott Trench, which has made me feel like what I am proposing makes more sense.  Here is my story.

Im 36, live in NW Houston (Cypress, TX).  I have 3 kids, 1.5, 9, and 13.  I am a contractor who installs window film for commercial and residential applications, with an emphasis on commercial.  I made $126K gross in 2016.  My wife is a realtor, but rather wet behind the ears, and brought in around $20-$25K in 2016. This year to date, my gross is $53k, and we are projecting over $160k gross (my income). 

We have been incredibly negligent with where money has been spent in the past 3 years.  In fact, we were damn near debt free in 2013, but thought it was a good idea to buy 2 new vehicles.  I owe $110k on my home, and the appraisal is $143k, market value of $157k, and we have seen our exact home selling for $150k-$165k.  We believe ours would sell on the higher end.

We have about $32k on CC debt, and about $60k on auto debt.  As a contractor, I dont usually get paid on my work for 30-90 days, which has made budgeting a nightmare.  Regardless, I realize the errors of our ways.

I could go into far more detail, but my question is, should I sell my house, and take the equity after closing to pay off my CC debt, and rent for a couple years (or more) and start over?

Loading replies...