Skip to content
Off Topic

User Stats

Votes
John Gilligan
  • Glenside, PA
Votes |
The process of identifying your ONE Thing(s)

John Gilligan
  • Glenside, PA
Posted Jun 10 2017, 10:02

I'm a huge fan of The ONE Thing by Gary Keller/Jay Papasan.  I have a paper copy and the audiobook, and am very bullish on fully adopting this framework and using it to govern my life.

When I finished the book the first time, I felt compelled to immediately brainstorm about my ONE Thing. Turns out, for me it was actually pretty challenging to boil down my ONE Thing.  Luckily, the author’s knew this and produced a free PDF guide called Discover Your ONE Thing Now; Three Simple Steps to Uncover your Purpose and Realize Your Goals. This guide is helpful and I highly recommend it for anyone seeking to take action after reading the book.

Even with the help of the guide, I still struggled with the compatibility between the concept of a ONE Thing and the multidimensional aspect of our lives. By multidimensional, for example, as the book breaks them down: Spiritual, Physical, Personal, Key Relationships (loved ones), Job, Business, Financial. I struggled with the concept of finding multiple ONE Things… in a way it seems counter-intuitive to the overall concept of having ONE Thing. At the same time, it didn’t make sense to dive into one single area. So I initially went through the sheet seeking a ONE Thing for my Job. After that, I went and created a spreadsheet where I went through the exercise for all areas of my life.

It is still a work in progress to actually complete the exercises in the guide.  I am very purposefully making sure I carefully evaluate each step.

Wondering if anybody else has used this PDF guide and/or has any tips/tricks they've used to unearth their ONE Thing?