• Real Estate Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Generosity and relationships

Erik W.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Posted Jun 14 2018, 05:59

There was recently a post about giving money based on gross or net income that has been removed from the forum, and I think I may have inadvertently killed it by violating one of the forum rules....unintentional, I promise!  I thought it was a really great topic and for the most part folks were being very civilized and helpful.  Sad to see it removed, but rules are rules....

I'd like to see it continued/re-examined, but this time simply in light of generosity in general not tied to any other type of organization.

I believe that people who are generous have a way about them that tends to draw others toward them, which is helpful in business where net working and establishing relationships built on trust is important.  To back up that belief, my wife and I dedicate a minimum of 10% of our income to giving each month, and we also make additional one-off donations as well to charities that positively impact our local community.  As a side benefit, this has helped me engage with people I might not ever have met except that we got involved and "put our money where our mouths are" when it comes to saying we want to help do some good for other people.

It's one thing to say we wish to be generous and to help.  It's another thing to plan it out with pencil and paper (or spreadsheets and apps) each month.  We still do spontaneous giving as well, but just like planning a weekly exercise routine keeps our muscles strong and growing, I think having a plan for giving keeps our generosity attitude and practices strong and growing.

What has your experience been with giving and generosity?