Votes
Sam Dal
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Wyoming LLC for asset protection

Sam Dal
  • New York, NY
Posted Feb 21 2020, 10:24

guys - i'm a passive real estate investor (invest in apartment syndicates) that are non-recourse and my only liability is to the extent of my investment. That being said, I am considering forming a Wyoming LLC for basic asset protection like CD's and other brokerage based investments. The reason behind this is I'm seeing an increase of frivolous law suits in my city. In addition, I also live in a city in the northeast where it's almost impossible to find licensed and bonded labor to work in your home - almost everybody is unlicensed and I can't come to the grips of what happens if someone falls off my roof

For these reasons alone, is it worthwhile to place non-RE and RE investments under a single LLC out of Wyoming? The costs don't see that big and it's usually a few hundred to set up and under $200 to maintain with the many agencies available to take your mail and be your registered agent. I've obviously done some research but can't come to a conclusion and looking for some unbiased opinion here. I found a good article on this topic too

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/2010-09-01-can-nevada-or-wyoming-protect-your-real-estate-investments-in-another-state-draft-for-review

Thanks