STR Neighborhood Response Plan

8 Replies

Recently purchased a property to do STRs with in New Orleans proper. Working on the license needed by the city and one of the required docs for the OSTR (Short Term Rental Operator's Permit) is a "Neighborhood Response Plan". I've called the STR office but no answer (typical for around the holidays), was wondering if anyone else had done one before?

Thanks in advance.

Updated 2 months ago

Adding "Louisiana" so it comes up in searches.

Don't over think it. Write down that you're in touch with your neighbors, they all have your contact info. You will respond to disturbances immediately. You'll warn guests in advance to be respectful of neighbors and in the event there is a disturbance you are always available close by. Tell them you have a zero tolerance policy with guests for loud music or any neighbor disturbance.

That's the kind of stuff they want to hear. You're just assuring them that you'll be on top of it.

And, for the record, it is important your neighbors all have your contact info and they know they can call you first and you'll take care of it because you don't want them calling AirBnB or the city.

Originally posted by @Stephen E. :

And, for the record, it is important your neighbors all have your contact info and they know they can call you first and you'll take care of it because you don't want them calling AirBnB or the city.

Thanks Stephen. I kind of figured it would be something simple but wanted to ask before taking time to go deal with the folks at One Stop. 

@Stephen E. Good morning, we are new to investing and are interested in str. What is the average per night in Nola closer to the quarter? It doesn’t appear to be as much as in some other cities but I could be wrong and need information. I would think they stay booked since all the festivals (before Covid). Any information is greatly appreciated.

@Paige Hutchinson The rate to the quarter is very high, much more than most cities actually. There were some articles on best cities for STR and New Orleans is always in the top three. It's very seasonal. The question isn't really how often a rental is booked, since at a low enough price a rental will stay booked all the time. The question is how much will you average per month. There are a lot of factors that go into that.

On the vast majority of properties you'll only be able to operate with an accessory permit, which requires a homestead exemption. There are a lot of things to consider. It's an incredible investment but it makes a lot more sense in some situations than others. There are vacation spots much more amenable to STR owners who live out of town. New Orleans is much easier when you live here, in my opinion.

Thank you for that information, we live about 30 minutes away but show properties there and spend a lot of time there. I remember something on the news when the owners were trying to do away with str. I didn’t know the outcome. Also do you use a management company?