Vacant property insurance - Maine

8 Replies

Hello everyone,

We are scheduled to close on a vacant doublewide in Central Maine that we intend to use as a summer residence.  The property is winterized and will remain vacant for ~6mo after closing. 

Can anyone recommend a decent insurance company and/or an independent insurance broker who can help us insure the property?  TIA

Jonathan Knowlton (Allstate in Lewiston, ME) is my agent for my doublewide. I find them competitive and have no complaints. I don't know specifically about a vacant property, but he is only one phone call away to find out.

Originally posted by @Amy A. :

Expect to be shocked. I just got a quote of around $2800 for a small house!  They tried 2 different companies. Chalmers Insurance.

That's insane!  I flipped a house in Biddeford earlier this year and I think my policy was about 1200, they reimbursed for the unused amount after I sold.  Try talking with Phil Smith at Paquin and Carroll in Biddeford! 

@Matthew McGuire :

Jonathan Knowlton (Allstate in Lewiston, ME) is my agent for my doublewide. I find them competitive and have no complaints. I don't know specifically about a vacant property, but he is only one phone call away to find out.

I would like to thank everyone who replied and share some information:

My current, and soon to be ex, insurance broker HUB International in Acton, MA offered an estimated $2222.00/year quote from Foremost insurance but never submitted an actual quote.

Higgins & Bolduc in Oakland, ME listed on the Foremost Insurance website responded: "We are probably not going to be your best option for this".  

We went with Jonathan Knowlton (Allstate in Lewiston, ME) recommended by @Matthew McGuire who quoted a $693/year seasonal insurance from American Modern.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here