• Realtor
  • Portland, ME
Votes |
Coronavirus Affecting Evictions in Maine

Dan Weber
  • Realtor
  • Portland, ME
Posted Mar 14 2020, 16:38

I received an email today regarding eviction hearings in Maine. The email reads as follows:

Subject: Maine Courts Suspend Eviction Hearings

Late on March 13, 2020, the Maine Supreme Judicial Court issued a general order to address concerns related to the COVID-19 virus. The order can be found at https://www.courts.maine.gov/covid19.shtml

Among other things, all activity on evictions, small claims and money-judgment disclosures is suspended until May. If all goes well the first Southern Maine eviction dockets will be May 6th in Lewiston, May 7th in Portland and May 8th in Biddeford.

Litigants with an "urgent and compelling reasons" for a hearing before May 1st can make and serve a motion. My suggestion -- not my reasoned legal advice, merely a suggestion -- is that landlords should not make motions based on 'economic harm' unless they are prepared to back up, in detail, the nature and extent of both the harm and the urgency.

It is possible that, for example, 'substantial damage to property' would present a compelling reason which the District Court might deem sufficient. There is no way to know until someone tries.

If a tenant has threatened a landlord that may support a Protection From Harassment case which would be heard before May as well.

Anyone with questions is urged to contact their attorney.

--All, be aware and act accordingly. Good luck!--

• Real Estate Agent Maine (#BA923337)

Vista Real Estate Brokers Logo

Loading replies...