Skip to content
Maryland Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Lamont Marable
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Waldorf, MD
Votes |
Duplex Conversation or Accessory Apartment in Waldorf Md.

Lamont Marable
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Waldorf, MD
Posted May 24 2020, 21:51

Hey BP! I'm thinking about doing a duplex conversion in my city and split the meters. Our codes aren't clear cut like other counties in my area as there is no R-2 zone. Rather, there is what's called an "Accessory Apartment" permit. Does this (see below) justify as it's written that I could turn a split foyer SFH into a duplex?

ACCESSORY APARTMENTS

Definition

“ A second dwelling unit that is part of an existing one-family detached dwelling, or is located in a

separate accessory structure on the same lot as the main dwelling, for use as a complete, independent

facility with provision within the accessory apartment for cooking, eating, personal sanitation and

sleeping. Such a dwelling unit is subordinate to the main dwelling.”

Regulations

1. There shall be no more than one accessory apartment permitted per existing single- family

dwelling.

2. If an accessory apartment is located in the principal dwelling building, the entry to such unit and

its design shall, to the degree reasonably feasible, reflect the appearance of the single-family

residential structure. No external entrance that faces a road or street shall be added to either the

principal dwelling or an accessory building.

3. An accessory apartment may be located either in the principal dwelling unit or in an accessory

building.

4. Within the principal dwelling unit, the minimum floor area shall be 300 square feet but in no

case shall it exceed 50% of the gross floor area of the dwelling in which it is located.

5. Within an accessory building, the minimum floor area shall be 300 square feet, there shall be

no more than two (2) bedrooms in the apartment, and the apartment shall not occupy more than

50 percent of the accessory structure.

6. Prior to the issuance of a building permit, approval of the proposed method of water supply and

sewage disposal shall be obtained from the Health Department.

7. Contact The Department of Planning and Growth Management regarding the

permitting process.

Loading replies...